Objectives of the Institute of Professional Studies
- To offer a good education as well as specific vocational/professional training to enable students to gain personal fulfillment as well as embark on a career.
- To enable students to translate the benefits derived from vocational/professional training to make a significant contribution to society by selecting careers that will benefit themselves & society.
- To provide an educational environment conducive to developing skills and competencies and building of character essential to the personal development of students and the development of society.
- To up-grade and improve training facilities at the Institute and thereby provide employers with skilled personnel to replace those who leave the island for jobs abroad, and to meet the skills requirements within the country.
- To enable students to be self-employed or to gain employment by obtaining vocational and/or professional skills.
About Vocational Education in Sri Lanka
Vocational Education in Sri Lanka was neglected for many years. Traditional forms of education which are academically oriented have been the focus of emphasis. It’s only in the 70s when the enormity of the youth and unemployment problem came to light that educationists and the nation took cognisance of the vast potential there is for the development of Vocational Education in Sri Lanka and the need to meet the demands of young people who are anxious to educate themselves for careers which are remunerative and nationally productive.
The Board of Governors of Ladies’ College Colombo, Sri Lanka decided in 1981 to expand the facilities at Ladies’ College to include an institute exclusively for Vocational Education for students from all parts of Sri Lanka.
By extending and expanding the avenues of modern education to include Vocational Education, Ladies’ College led the way in promoting education with a view to national development.
Board of Management
- Mrs. Thanja Peiris (Chairperson)
- Mrs. Eesha Speldewinde
- Ms. Leonie Seneviratne
- Mrs. Ren Lan Mather
- Mr. A. Naguleswaran
- Mr. Lasantha Salgado
- Ms. Fathima Aziz